Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Re-posting from December, 2011: My Tarot Tribute to Annette Funicello

 When I instituted Monday as Tarot Day on my blog, my first post with this little missive about how the Page of Cups (or, in this specific case, the Princess of Hearts) reminded me of former Mouseketeer Annette Funicello.  To honor her memory, I'm re-posting it today.  Rest in Peace, Annette.  Please know you've positively influenced generations of young girls:

*******************************************************************************

Just like on the "Mickey Mouse Club", I've decided to assign something to the days of the week.  Well, okay, I actually don't want to pen myself in for every day of the week, but Mondays need some help with their image.  Bob Geldoff hated Mondays.  The Mamas and the Papas didn't trust them.  But I like them; they help to put me in motion, like a guiding hand that gently sets down my wind-up week, turns the key, and gives it a push.

From now on, Monday will be Tarot Day on my odd little blog.  So my wondering mind asked, "Which Mouseketeer quickly brings to mind a tarot card first?  No thinking - gut reaction!"  That would be Annette Funicello.


And the card which embodies her perky, optimistic nature would be the Page (or in this case, the Princess) of Cups (or Hearts).  Alright - the Princess of Hearts it is.

Emotional, sensitive and caring, this Princess (and let's face it: Annette was a TRUE Disney princess - no tiara, magical carriages or frogs needing kissing required) took us into a world filled with wonder, surprises and, eventually, romance.  Because as she matured, Annette became a Teen Princess who all the boys swooned over.  Annette was the Miley Cyrus of her day, with many a hit record to her name.  Here's a link to one of her first rockin' tunes, "Tall Paul":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne2yFQPYYmU&feature=fvst

In film, her star still shined brightly, full of perkiness and dimples while she maintained a coating of child-like innocence in the many beach party movies she starred in (most often opposite Frankie Avalon, who most certainly qualifies as a Prince of Hearts.)


"Goin' steady" with your "dream boat", the twist and frug, warm summer days, clam bakes, and soda pop.  A true Princess of Hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment