Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"All the Children Sing" - So coloreth the mystic Todd Rundgren.




Todd Rundgren.  It's amazing he's not an Aquarian (born June 22, so that would make him a Cancer, but just barely.  On the Gemini-Cancer cusp.  So he's got the split personality of the Twins combined with the sensitivity of the Crab.  I have many Cancerians in my life, including my sweet, wacky, caring, wonderful Daddy; they are unique, special, challenging, mercurial, emotional, friendly, and crazy like Aqaurians, but very sweet.  Sometimes we Aquarians like to freak people out for the heck of it; a Cancer wouldn't do that.  With a Cancerian, it would occur by happenstance.  Then they might apologize for shaking you up.  Most Aquarians won't apologize.  And it's not that we aren't nice; the oddballness is hardwired into our psyches and cosmology and it ain't goin' anywhere).

So.  The Sun is now firmly in Aquarius.  Ruled by Uranus, the planet of "Holy CRAP!  Did THAT just happen!?", it's replete with rainbows and geegaws and silliness and some eccentricity.  No, a LOT of eccentricity.  We Aquarians are eccentric as children (often ridiculed as thus - be we ALWAYS get the last laugh), grow into eccentric teens, travel throughout our adulthoods (wait - there is no such thing as a grown-up Aquarian; strike that), and, as seniors, are the old folks who do odd things and who people just adore - and often revere.

As my birthday is only a week or so away, I'm swept up in Aquarian Sun energy.  Things happen.  Jobs pop out of nowhere.  My hairstyle changes from day to day.  I find things in my closet that have no BUSINESS going together/being pulled out in the first place, and I wear them.  And I often hear music in colors.

This is called synesthesia.  Basically, it's the blurring of senses.  While I've tested myself and did not test positive for synesthesia, for some reason, during this time of year, I sometimes experience music as color.  Or color as music.  Smells hit me as colors, but rarely as music.  Textures are musical though.

And why bring up Todd Rundgren just now?  Because this morning I was looking at something multi-colored, rainbowy.  And it made Rundgren's song "All the Children Sing" come to mind.  And I heard it in  colors.  So, curious if there was a video of the song on Youtube, I looked and lo! there was one.  And it's VERY colorful.  And happy-crazy.  With little dolls (scary little versions of the pleasant, sweet dolls in "It's a Small World") singing like Clutch Cargo, Rundgren in googly eyeglasses, and a wind-up bunny playing the drums.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wPsZa_N7jY

I feel the song is about the "a-ha!" moment, those times when something hits you and helps you see (or hear?  Smell?) things differently.  A paradigm shift.  It's about how we're all united in that moment when "a bell in your head will ring".  And then "All the Children Sing" - it's a human condition.  It's a unifying, universal condition.  And Rundgren paints it in a rainbow of quirk, not only in the lyrics, but in the video.  And the song itself is at once an anthem for harmony and for the universal quality of "Holy CRAP!  Did THAT just happen?!".

Perhaps those moments propel us into a higher plane ...

No comments:

Post a Comment