Monday, February 11, 2013

A "Bewitched" Serena LOVEFEST! Serena on MeTV all week long!



So here is Raine's Serena RockBecause she was born hundreds of years ago, there's no record of Serena's birthday.  Apparently, this was never taken into consideration when the writer's of the groovy 60s sitcom "Bewitched" were devising character backstories, to consider what the characters' sun signs might be.

Bewitched Serena Stops TheI would bet you a bucket of gold dubloons that Serena was (aw, come on, she's ageless and eternal: IS!) an Aquarius.

So it seems cosmiscally right and proper that this week, stuck right in the middle of Aquarian Time, MeTV is presenting a Serena Fest!  Just think: one whole week of primetime "Bewitched" episodes featuring my favorite sitcom character of all time.

As you probably know, Elizabeth Montgomery played both roles, and played them exquisitely (although Serena was credited as being played by Pandora Spocks.  Say it fast; you'll get the pun).  As a child, I was enthralled with the idea of having a dual role in a play or TV show, of having a photo double you'd respond to.  Then, as I got older, what really got me intrigued was the not as much the idea of having a groovy cousin who you resembled so much that people got conufused (sparking much madcap zaniness), but rather the theme of the alter ego.

Serena's winter fashions.Which got me thinking of my own personal astrology.  If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm an Aquarius, full out and proud.  But I'm also a Leo rising.  That's the part that allows me to be onstage, both literally and figuratively, helps me transcend my Aquarian oddballness and tendency to be rather remote.  And it's on the opposite side of the astrological wheel, a bit of a polar opposite.  So, in some ways, I've been living the Samantha/Serena life.  The oddly aloof versus the gregarious.  The highly creative child versus the respectable adult.

We're all an amalgam of warring factions.  All of us have sides of our personality that seem to clash with other attributes and interests we develop in life.  So it makes perfect sense that the concept of the alter ego, the light and dark, continues to inspire and intrigue us over the centuries.  It's so very universal, while being so very personal and unique to each of us.

I invite you all to catch this week's MeTV "Bewitched" episdoes and take some time to ask yourself who your "other self" is, what she wants and what you can do to feed her.  Because, like Serena in her go-go boots and maribou, she won't be going away any time soon.

reminds me of Serena in









No comments:

Post a Comment