Monday, July 8, 2013

An open letter and tarot reading for David Byrne and St. Vincent (who made my summer smile)

Picture of David Byrne & St. Vincent


Dear Mr. Byrne and Ms. Clark:

This letter has taken a few days to formulate, mostly because after seeing your concert at Ravinia in Highland Park/Greater Chicagoland area/Northeastern Illinois/Chicago, on Saturday, July 6, I was thrown into a slew of summery things, like buying edging bricks for our corner berm (to keep the succulents and butterfly bushes from overtaking the lawn), planning for an upcoming East Coast trip (wherein I'll revisit vintage amusement parks which were affected by Hurricane Sandy, which I wrote about in my book on vintage amusement parks.  And yes, I'll do summery things at the parks, like riding the spooky dark rides, and the Wonder Wheel at Coney), and attempting a pedicure (messy situation).  Plus, just "life things" came up.  But now, the letter.

You probably know, or were told, that at Ravinia, people bring picnics and light citronella candles and read books and snap lots of photos and enjoy the summer air even before the concert actually begins.  I do all those things, and I also read tarot cards.  It's something I do in places other than Ravinia, but there, I decided to read for you guys.

I pulled only one card, because sometimes brevity is most powerful.  And the card that came up for you (and, by the way, the actual question I posed before pulling the card was, "What wisdom can I gift these fine musicians with for the rest of their tour?") was the Three of Wands.  If you're not tarot-savvy, here's a picture of what it looks like, along with an explanation:

Three of Wands Tarot Card Meanings tarot card meaningThe suit of Wands in the tarot speaks of inspiration, of fire and sparks of genius.  Threes in the tarot signify unity (think something like "the holy trinity").  There's a coming together of forces, energies, and ideas.  Especially ideas.  The sojourner depicted on the card is boldy facing forward, ready to continue his journey, fueled with the knowledge that his travels will be filled with inspiration, growth, community, and a ridiculous amount of creativity and play.

I pretty much jumped about in my folding lawn chair and almost spilled a perfectly pleasant glass of pinot grigio when I pulled this card.  Guys, it's an absolutely perfect image to meditate upon, to linger with, while working on the rest of your spectacular tour.  It's quite apparent that the two of you "play well together", and this card's energy can only help to build upon and bolster the incredible energies that I saw combine upon the stage Friday night, allowing for even more beautifully-realized art in the future.

You two made my summer.  The music, the brass section's choreography, and your timeless silver hair (the both of you) delighted me.  This is just my little way of saying "thank you". 

Peace and Many Blessings, Pam

P.S.  Was it just the guy next to me, or were you allowing a wonderful incense to waft through the venue?  It was heady, woodsy and "just right" for a summer evening.







No comments:

Post a Comment