Wednesday, July 3, 2013

So then, what IS a warlock? Maybe only Uncle Arthur knows for sure ...

A few days ago, when the Supreme Court figured out where to find their brainstems, gay marriage was recognized as constitutional and there was much rejoicing about the country, especially on facebook: lots of red and pink equality signs, and super photo tributes, including the following heartening and humorous photo.


I personally always wanted Uncle Arthur to be MY uncle ...


 
By now, you've all probably figured out a few things about me.  I'm a huge "Bewitched" fan.  I'm very gay-friendly.  And I'm witchy.  So seeing a picture of my heroes Samantha and Endora with placards espousing a cause which is dear to me really made my day.  Until I read Sammy's signage more closely.  "My uncle is a gay warlock".  Hm. The word "warlock" kinda popped right out and hit me between the eyes (near the spot of "witches' honor" actually).  Because, you see, I've been attending lots of pagan lectures and classes recently.  And apparently, this word causes a lots of confusion and consternation.

The Free Online Dictionary gives this definition:
war·lock n.A male witch, sorcerer, wizard, or demon. [Middle English warloghe, from Old English for oath-breaker : pledge; see wr-o- in Indo-European roots + -loga, liar.] 

Wowee!  Okay, I need to first get over the fact that this entry essentially is equating witch, wizard, sorcerer with demon!  But after I calm myself down and take a swig of my latte, I point out the first bit of etymology, that it's from the Middle English for oath-breaker. And the roots lie where?  In the Indo-European word from liar.

Oh, my stars!!  Do we then consider Uncle Arthur a traitor?  What about Doctor Bombay?  And Maurice?  They might have been a bit mischievous at times, but lying, stinking traitors?  I think not!

In the circles in which I run, witches are called witches, be they male or female.  The term warlock definitely has some negative connotations.  However, when you dig deeper,the more I find out about the word's history.  It is a fascinating, albeit confusing one.  If you have the time, this link will take you to a very well-documented and thorough exploration:

http://paganwiccan.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=paganwiccan&cdn=religion&tm=91&gps=233_27_1257_709&f=00&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=2&bt=4&bts=50&zu=http%3A//www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4123946

Today, most pagans cast a jaundiced eye at the term, but I'm learning that, due to its long and storied past, some choose to embrace it, almost defiantly.

What are your thoughts?  Do you wince when you hear it used?  Or do you consider it simply a personal choice?




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment