Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday is Tarot Day: The Devil card. And how a different bit of imagery can work wonders ...



I get busy with tarot readings during the month of October.  Folks contact me for private readings, but also I book the occasional party, most often a "girls' night"-type of affair.  I love those, and I especially like to trick myself out as either my witchy self (scarves, chandelier earrings, head scarf, dark nail polish, Stevie Nicks-type skirt) or my Mid-Century self (think Joan from "Mad Men", but she's reading tarot).

3In fact, I'll be adopting the early 60s finery for a party I'm reading in mid-October.  A group of girlfriends are gathering and I'm the spooky entertainment for their Halloween fete.  I told the host of the two types of looks and energies I provide, and she was quite adamant that the spookier one wouldn't quite hit right.  The more light-hearted one would be applicable for this soiree - and I'll be reading the Housewives' tarot that evening, whose artwork is taken from 50s and 60s ads, featuring bright colors and tongue-in-cheek imagery.

Because I was asked, point blank, if the cards that I'd be bringing would have any dark, disturbing imagery.  Some women, apparently, would be very scared/offended/put-off by it.

Must admit, if you're not familiar with what the cards mean, there's a huge difference between, for instance, this interpretation of the Devil card:



And THIS one:

Or this one, all dark and Maleficent: SciFi and Fantasy Art Dragon Tarot - The Devil by Alexandra ´Erkegris´ Alexandersson

But the meanings are the same: addiction, excessive desires, lurking in the darkness rather than the light.  Being a no-goodnick.

Hm ... I think I'll use that phrase if it's apt for a reading I do at the party.  Just to lessen the impact of the card.  If I feel I need to.

Fellow tarot readers: what are some of the cards that cause panic attacks for your querrents?  I'd love to hear your take and your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment