Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The balance of beauty and chaos

On Wednesday, September 24th, we'll be heading into a New Moon phase.  It'll be in Libra:

http://astrology.about.com/od/themoon/qt/NewMoonLibragen.htm?nl=1



What fascinates me most about this article by Molly Hall is the idea of beauty vs. chaos.  It really struck me, the following quote by Vangelis, of all people: "Beauty is harmony which comes from chaos. But we invest in chaos. And why do we invest in chaos, because chaos is more profitable than peace. That's why."

Think about that for a moment. We invest in chaos.  Now, what probably comes to mind first is the idea of countries investing in war.  At least that's what came up for me.  War is profitable, creates bumps in the economy for the better.  But I don't think I need to go into the pain and negativity that war also brings.

But besides war, we have a tendency to invest energy and focus on the negativity in our lives.  It hits us viscerally and stays with us.  For a moment: think about the last time you were cut off in traffic, or verbally slighted, or were the recipient of a dirty look.  It hit deep.  We recall it easily. It's more "profitable" for our psyches sometimes because it feeds our need for drama, which can be a cheap, tawdry alternative to something deeper and more profound.

Now, try to quickly recall a moment, very recently, where you received something beautiful and positive.  If you're like me, it might take a tad more time to really recall it, to feel it, to let it reverberate in you.  And, frankly, that's a shame. 

How can we learn to allow beauty to hit us viscerally in a way we're then able to recall more easily?  One way is to train ourselves to become more present in those quiet moments when beauty touches our souls.  The next time someone compliments you, or you hold the hand of a loved one, or hear a glorious symphony, sit still and allow yourself to feel the moment deeply.  Where does it "settle" in your body?  That beauty deserves to be held deep inside, to feed our cores.

Another trick to try is a minute or so each night devoted to recalling those small, quiet beautiful moments.  It doesn't take long at all to make it a habit, to recall three things you are truly grateful for tht happened earlier in the day.  It can become a part of your evening habits.

Now, as for the upcoming New Moon: I'm planning a New Moon ritual for my husband and myself.  I'm still working on the details, but I'll share them with you as the date gets closer.  Until then, ask yourself, "What chaos am I willing to transmute into beauty?" What comes to mind first for me is the cacophony that is my office.  I am willing, focused and entirely able to turn that apple carving face of a space into a beautiful, blushing Pink Lady apple of a room.

Current office condition


Pink Lady apples packed in
Future office condition

No comments:

Post a Comment