Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Magical Christmas. A "Bewitched" Christmas.

When I look back on my childhood Christmases, my first recollection is the time I heard reindeer hooves on the roof.  I definitely, certainly, without a doubt, encountered a holiday miracle.  My Dad tucked me in on Christmas Eve and told me that the reindeer attempt to stay quiet at night because they don't want to alert children to Santa's arrival, but it's hard to stay completely quiet as there are eight reindeer, albeit tiny ones.  So he simply told me to stay vigilant and listen, listen, listen for the magic.  Because magic is an important part of Christmas, he'd say.  It was for me then -- and it is now.

Sure enough, about fifteen minutes later, I heard them - accompanied by wee bells.  Tiny, tinkling, crystalline bells rang out, hooves clip clopped like miniature wooden shoes.  Overwhelmed by the promise of Santa in close proximity, I stayed in bed and covered my head (just like I was told in the song, "Here Comes Santa Claus") and imagined the miraculous Jolly Elf entering through the window Dad left open a crack (we had no chimney) to keep Santa's job safe and easy.

That morning, Mom woke me up and told me Dad had something important to report.  I remember Dad entering my room, sitting at the foot of the bed, and telling me he found reindeer hoof prints out in the snow.

"They're very small, but I can tell they're not birds, they're not rabbits; they're reindeer!  Come take a look!"

A bundled-up Pam trundled outside, holding my Daddy's hand.  Sure enough: extra small hooves in the snow, made by what must have been a sleigh team of something the size of squirrels (but NOT squirrels).

Back inside, it was apparent that St. Nick made it in through the window unscathed, leaving me a plethora of mid-century toy store goodness (from the Official Southwest Side of Chicago North Pole Annex, Bargain Town, on Cicero Avenue, near 63rd Street, not far from Midway Airport.  That would make sense...) that perplexed and pixiliated tiny Pam.


Yes, I was an only child, so Santa always outdid himself every year.

I don't know about you, but a look at me in my jammies on this mid-60s Christmas morning reminds me of Tabitha from "Bewitched" so much, that it sparked me to find my favorite Christmas episode.  Thus my treat to you: the entire #123, "Humbug Not to be Spoken Here", their take on "A Christmas Carol".  Pay close attention to the second part, wherein you'll take a peek into the North Pole featuring sleek, mid-century reindeer.

Oh, and I love the fact that Samantha and Santa know each other like old friends.  Of COURSE they do!

“Humbug Not To Be Spoken Here”

Part One A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y99cpVj7BGA

Part One B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11i2pRSDSQM

Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqiH8bE2i1k

End Tag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpfoQW9zjqw&list=PLF7EB3DF89619B590&index=5&feature=plpp_video

"Humbug Not To Be Spoken
 (Here's Elizabeth Montgomery, apparently at an after party for the episode, because this scene is not in the actual episode, but she's wearing the same divine ensemble she has on in the final portion of the show.  It's a completely smashing jumpsuit that I want so badly, I can taste it.)


So tonight, when you're nodding off to slumber, make some room between sugar plums dancing to keep quiet and still and listen.

Just Listen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. I heard Santa on our roof, too. I always felt bad for kids who lived on the first floor.

    ReplyDelete