Friday, March 23, 2012

The Monkees' Chicago connection

The Monkees, left to right:
The Monkees, from Wikipedia, on the famous, rainbow-colored set.

I totally recall watching Peter and Mike running across the street toward Midway Airport, with bags of sandwiches and stuff from Santucci's restaurant.  Mickey and Davy were playing basketball in the small green space nearby where their plane, with the Monkees' guitar-shaped insignia on the wing, drew throngs of their ardent fans.

It was the 60s, I was a tot, and my dad, full of vim, ran to meet them, came back to me to haul me over to visit with my idols, but I hid on the '63 Chevy's backseat floor, pinned with fear; it was all-too-much for a little kid like me.

I posted about my memories about Davy a few weeks back when he passed.  But I didn't post this amazing link that someone on Facebook shared with me.

Apparently, during that fabled visit to Chi-Town, the boys spent a lot of time at a studio, where they filmed some songs for their hit TV show.  Read on and learn more!  What a great part of rock 'n roll history and 60s pop culture fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment