Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday is Tarot Day: Energy in reserve.


NINE OF WANDS

You may notice, if you take a look back, that I posted nothing since last Monday.  Nothing, nada, nie mam nic (that's Polish for "nothing").  And it's not like I had nothing to say; no , that wasn't the reason at all.  The cause for my little vacay?  I've been bone-tired, spent, and double-dog done.

My hubby and I are helping out a good friend by taking part in a benefit for a local theatre.  We and about twenty other folks are all pulling together a musical review in just over a week.  A musical review wherein each and every person has the material that would translate easily into a lead role in just about any regular book musical.  Now, I've done summer stock, I've done all-day, 9-5 rehearsals.  But this one, because of the amount of songs and the small amount of time to really perfect them, is kicking our collective ass.

This evening's rehearsal includes my big solo (oh, I do dream of playing this role for reals!): Ella Peterson's show-stopper, "I'm Going Back" from "Bells Are Ringing".  I've also recently been added to "Moonshine Lullaby" from "Annie Get Your Gun" (Annie was my first lead role back in high school, so it's so sweet to return to her world, even for a little bit), and then the hippie-dippie "Good Morning Starshine" from "Hair".

Now, I love all these songs, all the women I get to portray, all the folks I share the stage with.  But this translates to a lot.  A lot.  A LOT of "A LOTness".  And so I'm storing up my energies tonight, and tomorrow night, and probably even on Wednesday, so that I'll be spunky for Thursday's dress rehearsal and the weekend of shows all this rehearsal is leading up to.

The Nine of Wands guy might just as well have been hobbling through our rehearsals,.  He's a bit battle-worn, but at the same time, he knows there's still more ahead of him to tackle.  He's wise enough to store his energies for the coming battle.

Or maybe it's not a battle.  Maybe it's chorus for "Blow, Gabriel, Blow", ensemble for "The Time Warp", a big song from "Bells are Ringing", another big song from "Annie Get Your Gun", a number from "Hair" where he gets to play stoned, one of four folks singing tight Sondheim harmonies in "The Gun Song" and, later, a part of a true Sondheim vocal monster, "A Weekend in the Country", finished up by a rousing version of "Run, Freedom, Run".

Take a look at his face.  Yeah, maybe that's what's on his schedule for the week ...

No comments:

Post a Comment