Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Law of Dharma and being an Interesting Person

"My, you really have a lot going on - you're a very interesting person."

"Wow, you are busy with so many interesting things!"

"Voice-over?  I'm very interested in learning how you got into it."

I apparently interest people.  I don't aim to, it's not something I do consciously or something I set out to accomplish.  I don't wear a t-shirt with this guy's face on it:
The Most Interesting Man in the World.


But time and time again, I hear how interesting it is that I spin so many different, unique and interesting plates in the air.

Part of the meditation process we've learned this week asks you to begin every session by asking yourself these three BIG Questions:  "Who am I"
                                                       "What do I want?"
                                                                      "What is my dharma?"

Dharma is your life purpose.  It's the thing you really should be doing, the thing that lights you up like a Chinese lantern, the thing that, when you're ensconced in it, makes all else swirling around you seem to stand still.

And, just this weekend, I've decided that I have a very interesting dharma.

Through a series of Fortunate Incidents, I've managed to stay relatively employed in the voice-over world, while I'm also a life coach, and at the same time I published a book about vintage amusement parks, read tarot cards for fun and (some) profit, and am now quite possibly on the path to become a primordial sound meditation instructor through the Chopra Center.  Oh - and from time to time, I likey me time on the stage, pulling faces, wearing my madcap, and running about.

Bedknobs and Broomstick
The divine Angela Lansbury
How do all these interesting-yet-disparate things work together?  What energetically binds them?  In essence, how can I distill all these things into a few words that summarize my dharma?  After this retreat, I can incontrovertible say I know the magic phrase.  I liken it to Eglentine Price in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", when she learned the spell that made inanimate objects move on their own.  Hers was "Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee "  Mine is:  "I inspire."

Now, that's rather a vainglorious boast, isn't it?  Well, I don't think it is, if it's in one's heart, if you set out to help and enlighten and pep up folks just by doing what you love.  Love is God. God inspires and uses folks to do His work; I know this and believe it at my heart center.  So why should I hide this light under a bushel?  That serves no one - and might singe the bushel.

It's a challenge though.  Because I don't put this on business cards or websites.  I just do what I do - and love the vast majority of it.  If people are drawn to my work, if they derive some sort of positive benefit that makes their day just a little sunnier, gives them just a soupcon more confidence or happiness, then my job is done and my dharma pup is satisfied with her little dharma chew toy.  And all is, truly, right with the world.

Dog Chewing





No comments:

Post a Comment