Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday is Tarot Day: the 5 of Pentacles

After last week's historic decision on the Health Care Bill, I've had some time to ruminate on the situation.  Actually, I ruminated on it for quite a while, long before President Obama brought it to light.  Health care weighs on my mind because I'm one of the underinsured.
Five of Pentacles Tarot Card Meanings tarot card meaning
Not uninsured, but underisnured.  I have one of those catastrophic policies that I pay a small amount for each month in order to pay a lot if, in the event a 16-ton weight drops on my head, I'll be covered.  I'll lose a huge chunk of my savings, but that's the gamble one takes with such a policy.

And that stinks.  It also used to stink that folks would fear going to the doctor becuse of a pre-existing condition.  Because once their "secret" was found out, they could be bumped from their insurance.  Under the new health care law, pre-existing conditions will eventually no longer exist as a means of exclusion.  Thank God for that.

Actually a lot about health insurance stinks.  I'm a firm believer in universal healthcare, medicare for all, for socialized emdicine.  NO ONE should have to pay to be well, to be alive.  Health care should be a right.  Insurance is for cars and houses and apartments, not a human life.

There are so many people out there who, because of the supreme court's decision on the bill, won't be in the sitauton of the folks pcitured in the 5 of Pentacles.  Think of that.  Look at them.  Out in the cold, no one to care for them.  The child, like Dickens's Tiny Tim, on crutches, in a snow storm.

Many folks out there have no problem with the less fortunate being thrown out into the cold.  "Get a job," they might say.  Like that's the panacea, the cure-all for it all.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say: I'm a firm supporter of the health care bill.  I believe all people should get free healthcare eventually.  Life should be treated with dignity.  I believe someone named Jesus made a big deal about treating the less fortunate with compassion.  Yeah, I seem to recall something about that ...

Thanks for letting me ramble.

2 comments: